Bay Laurel is an evergreen tree growing to 60 feet in height with glossy leaves, creamy green flowers and small black berries. Morocco, France, and Croatia are countries of origin of Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis L.) plant. Essential oil is extracted from leaves by steam distillation. Bay Laurel Essential oil contains over 81 unique components. Core components include: 1,8 cineole (31.9-68.82%), sabinene (3.32-12.2%), trans-sabinene hydrate (10.2%). Laurel Essential Oil has a sweet, fresh, slightly minty camphorous aroma and pale yellow to pale-green in color.
The lymphatic system is a network of tissues and organs. It is made up of
- Lymph – a fluid that contains white blood cells that defend against germs
- Lymph vessels – vessels that carry lymph throughout the body. They are different from blood vessels.
- Lymph nodes – glands found throughout the lymph vessels. Along with the spleen, these nodes are where white blood cells fight infection.
The bone marrow and thymus produce the cells in lymph and they are part of the system, too. The lymphatic system clears away the infection and keeps the body fluids in balance. If it’s not working properly, fluid builds in the tissues and causes swelling.
Just 5-10 drops of Bay Laurel essential oil applied topically over lymph nodes effectively supports the lymphatic system in its task of eliminating metabolic waste and helps to get rid of swelling (edema).
Bay Laurel Essential Oil helps with strains, rheumatism, muscle or joint stiffness. It is excellent in combination with Birch essential oil (or Wintergreen essential oil) and Lavender essential oil in treating muscular aches and pains especially after physical exertion, fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis. Dilute with carrier oil and apply to the affected area.
Bay Laurel helps to relieve nervous tension, exhaustion, helps to improve concentration and memory.
Bay Laurel has a very broad antimicrobial spectrum. It is most effective when used topically. It can be used in acute stages of bronchitis or influenza. Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to back and feet. Ingest 3 drops of Bay Laurel diluted with 3 drops of carrier oil, 3 times a day, in a vegetable capsule for bronchitis, colds, flu or influenza, viral infections. Bay Laurel essential oil is one the immune-stimulating essential oils.
Bay Laurel helps with oily skin, acne, boils, slow-healing wounds, ulcers, fungal infections/mycoses.
- Laurus nobilis essential oil exhibits analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity. In this study, the analgesic effect of laurel essential oil was found to be comparable to two analgesic, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Laurus nobilis essential oil exhibited significant wound healing activity. The essential oil used in this study was rich in 1,8 cineole (61.6%) and terpinyl acetate (13.8%).
In vitro Studies
- Laurus nobilis essential oil exhibits antifungal and antibiofilm effects against Candida albicans.
- Laurus nobilis essential oil exhibits a strong antibacterial activity.
I diffuse Bay Laurel Essential oil especially during winter months, to boost the immune system and as a cold/flu prevention. Bay Laurel has GRAS status meaning it is safe to ingest with carrier oil or in honey. Buy Honest & Pure Bay Laurel Essential oil.
Written by Lena Isayev, B.A., C.A.