Essential oils have been used for generations to ease symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, memory loss and moodiness. While research on the effectiveness of essential oils is somewhat limited, some studies have shown that essential oils have the ability to affect the limbic system to reduce stress, improve focus and concentration, as well as increase alertness.
1. Sacred Frankincense (Boswellia Sacra) is one of the most versatile essential oils used in aromatherapy which may help to oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands. Sacred Frankincense may help to induce feelings of mental peace, relaxation and satisfaction, while reducing anxiety and stress. Frankincense oil can help the stressed out mind get back to a state of calmness. Several studies show that frankincense essential oil can be used to improve both short-term and long-term memory and learning function.
2. Rosemary is another perfect essential oil for memory and concentration. According to 2016 study, pupils working in a room with the aroma of rosemary, in the form of an essential oil, achieved 5% to 7% better results in memory tests. According to Dr. Moss, the human sense of smell is highly sensitive and sends messages to the brain, setting off reactions and responses. There are neurotransmitters in the brain associated with memory and Dr. Moss suggests that these can be affected by scents. He described it as “almost like a drug interaction” where the brain is influenced by what is being inhaled. Another study also confirms positive effect of Rosemary essential oil for memory and concentration.
4. Lemon essential oil fresh aroma could wake us up! One of the studies found that using Lemon essential oil blend helped to improve cognitive function in a group of Alzheimer’s patients. They inhaled Lemon essential oil and Rosemary oils in the morning and Lavender and Orange essential oils at night. Breathing in this citrus essential oil will also give you natural stress relief.
5. Lavender essential oil is usually associated with relaxation and quality sleep but according to a recent Japanese study when inhaled during a break, this essential oil can improve your concentration once you get back to the task. Lavender essential oil was likely helpful in allowing the students to take an appropriate break and refresh themselves.
6. Hawaiian Sandalwood is another incredible essential oil that may help to promote mental clarity. Although the studies on Sandalwood essential oil are not adundant, 2013 study found a correlation between transdermal application of Sandalwood essential oil and increased attentiveness in humans.
How to use essential oils for memory and concentration?
To set the mood for focus and concentration and improve memory, inhalation is the best way to use the essential oils discussed above. Honest & Pure professional diffuser-nebulizer is a perfect way to fill your room with therapeutic essential oils without heat or water.
Written by Lena Isayev, B.A.,C.A.