Helichrysum…One of the top choices for the first aid and an essential oil that I personally use all the time. I am constantly experimenting with Helichrysum essential oil, using it in custom formulations for my customers and my family.
Helichrysum essential oil is steam distilled from the flowering tops of the plant. Helichrysum species thrives in sunshine, and enjoy growing on mountainsides in arid, sandy, stony areas. The essential oil yield for Helichrysum is quite low at approximately 0.2 – 0.3% and that would be a contributing factor to its cost.
Core Indications for Helichrysum essential oil:
- First aid remedy for injuries, strains, sprains, tissue trauma, bruises, swellings, cuts, open wounds (one o f those oils that can be applied undiluted).
- Scar reduction
- Joint pain, rheumatoid arthritis
- Old or new scars resulting from surgery or injury, inflamed tissues, Hematoma, allergic skin reactions, hemorrhoids, keloid scar tissue (to prevent or improve appearance), stretch marks, tendinitis.
- Apply immediately undiluted after an injury, it prevents swelling and bruising.
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Acne, chronic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, scar tissue, burns, dermal inflammation.
- Childhood dermatitis
- Chronic asthma, viscous sputum in bronchitis, chronic cough
- Pain Relief (due to anti-inflammatory action)
- Anal/Rectal fissures, after-birth/delivery tissue healing
- Dry, itchy skin with existing scratches and dermal irritation
- Nurturing, calming, harmonizing and grounding, Helichrysum will reduce apprehension and irritability.
What an incredible essential oil to have in your cabinet and a purse!
Post-Surgical Scar Healing Recipe:
Organic Calendula Oil – 15 % of volume
Organic Rosehip Oil – 15 % of volume
Organic Cistus Essential Oil 10% of volume
Organic Lavender Essential Oil 20 % of volume
Wild Frankincense Essential Oil 20 % of volume
Organic Helichrysum Essential Oil 20% of volume
Mix all oils together and apply to the affected area 3 times a day to promote wound healing or scar reduction.
For Bruise healing:
Immediately after injury has occurred, apply undiluted Helichrysum essential oil. Apply 2 more times the same day and 2 times the following day.
Written by Lena Isayev, B.A., C.A.