With the information flood on essential oils sometimes it gets confusing which essential oils are safe to use with children. When used properly, they can be super helpful for everything from runny nose, cough, sleep issues to pains and and moodiness. While essential oils are beneficial at every age, in this blog I want to focus on essential oils that are must-have for kids.
Quality matters. Unfortunately, there are absolutely no regulations at this time to govern an aromatherapy essential oil industry. Read more about quality of essential oils here. Most essential oils sold at stores are either synthetically made in a lab, adulterated, enhanced or diluted with a cheaper oil. Consult with an Aromatherapy Practitioner to get help with finding authentic essential oils with full therapeutic benefits.
The best application on children is topically or aromatically. Diffuser should not be used very close to babies, several drops of oil on mom’s clothes or a diffuser in a different room is enough for babies. Always dilute with carrier oils like Jojoba or Raspberry seed oil when using essential oils topically on kids. Undiluted application can lead to redness, rash or burns.
When diffusing essential oils around kids, use either high grade plastic ultrasonic diffuser or professional diffuser-nebulizer. Honest & Pure professional diffuser-nebulizer is built based on Venturi effect, uses no heat and no water. It delivers the essential oil in its original, pure state. It has variable speed control, which allows you, the customer, to choose the dispersion rate of essential oil to tailor to the needs of you and your family. When diffusing essential oils in a small room keep the doors open so the air can flow.
Never put essential oils directly in ears, eyes or nose. Also, make sure your child can not touch the oil and rub it in their oils. If that accidentally happens, apply a small amount of carrier oil around eyes to ease the burn.
Keep all essential oils away from children.
Essential oils can be very effective for tissue healing after baby delivery.
Create 1 oz spray:
Witch Hazel hydrosol – 20 ml
Aloe Vera juice – 8 ml
Helichrysum essential oil – 10 drops
Peppermint essential oil – 2 drops
Clary Sage essential oil – 2 drops
Lavender essential oil – 2 drops
If for some reason you don’t have access to a sprayer bottle just put 10 drops of this blend on the pad every time.
- For redness in belly button or between sweet baby rolls apply Sacred Frankincense and Roman Chamomile essential oils with carrier oil for a fast relief.
- Apply several drops of Sacred Frankincense, Lavender or Roman Chamomile essential oils on mommy’s shirt for both baby and mom to feel the aroma (Do not apply oil to baby’s clothes, it will make a burn on baby’s skin)
- For kids over 1 year of age: Sacred Frankincense is a powerful anti-inflammatory essential oil not only for the skin but also for respiratory conditions. We felt incredible relief using Sacred Frankincense when our baby got sick for the first time. She was coughing and could not sleep. I diffused Sacred Frankincense in the room, her cough calmed down and she was able to sleep.
- Conifers like Pine, are a perfect choice when kids are sick. Deep Breath synergy blend is formulated as a powerful cold/flu symptom relief, designed to act fast but provide long lasting relief. Forest synergy blend combines a blend of various conifers designed to bring an essence of a forest as well as provide respiratory relief.
- Top essential oils to diffuse for uplifting atmosphere: Bergamot, Wild Orange, Lemon, Ylang Ylang, Sacred Frankincense.Top essential oils to relax before sleep: Lavender, Clary Sage, Roman Chamomile, Sacred Frankincense.
- Lavender is a versatile essential oil and gently for pregnancy and small children. It is perfect for diffusion or diluted topical application. For Fever relief blend Sacred Frankincense with Lavender in 50% carrier oil and apply to feet, spine and chest. (Such high dilution rate should only be used for acute situations)
- Roman Chamomile is a gentle and powerful essential oil both for topical application and diffusion. It promotes restful sleep and helps with inflammatory skin conditions.
- Roman Chamomile and Helichrysum can be applied behind the ear in case of earache. Read more here.
Written by Lena Isayev, B.A., C.A.