Peppermint Essential Oil is steam distilled from the leaves of Mentha Peperita of Lamiaceae family. Countries of origin are France, England and USA. Peppermint is strongly affiliated with Digestive, Respiratory, Musculoskeletal systems and has a variety of uses. Honest & Pure Peppermint Essential oil is sourced from France and it’s certified organic.
Circulatory system: sluggish circulation (use with rosemary), varicose veins, Raynaud’s disease (when some areas of the body feel numb and cool in certain circumstances).
Digestive system: peppermint is hugely helpful in all problems of the digestive tract including: flatulence with abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach-derived halitosis (bad breath), travel sickness, spasms of the gastrointestinal tract, stomach upsets, colic, cramping, nausea, vomiting, headaches associated with digestive tension.
Musculoskeletal system: spasms, muscular stiffness, aches and pains, tight muscles, rheumatism, fibromyalgia, sprains, strains, arthritis, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatica, bruises, can reduce swelling and pain.
Nervous system: mental fatigue, shingles, tension headache, migraine, neuralgia, inability to focus.
Reproductive system: dysmenorrhea, painful cramps, pain relief during labor and delivery.
Respiratory system: bronchitis, sinusitis, spasmodic cough, cold, congestion.
Emotional: stimulating, apathy, mental fatigue, aids concentration (together with rosemary).
Research on Peppermint Essential Oil:
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil is routinely offered in many chemotherapy units in the United States and England to prevent and relieve nausea. Inhalation is recommended at a low dosage: 2 to 3 drops on a cotton swab.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil has antispasmodic activity, reducing spasms in the intestinal tract.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil is effective for relieving headache.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil is an effective anti-emetic for post-operative nausea.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil improves cognition and attenuates mental fatigue.
In a small double-blind, placebo-controlled balanced cross-over study involving 24 participants, researchers set out to assess the cognitive/mood effects of Mentha x piperita essential oil when taken internally. The participants were divided into three groups: 100 microliters of peppermint essential oil in vegetable oil in capsule; 50 microliters peppermint essential oil with vegetable oil in capsule, and placebo (vegetable oil) capsule. Each participant received two capsules to consumer with 200 ml full fat milk. The study revealed that at the higher dosage, peppermint essential oil was able to improve performance, memory, and attenuate mental fatigue from the day long testing.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil exhibits antimicrobial and antioxidant activity.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil exhibits strong antimicrobial activity against an array of pathogenic microbes including Candida albicans.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil and its active component, menthol, exhibit anti-emetic activity
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil exhibited carminative activity, indicating its potential usefulness in treating excess gas (flatulence) as well as relieving abdominal pain.
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) essential oil exhibits virucidal activity against the herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and 2 (HSV-2).
Peppermint essential oil blends well with: Laurel, Rosemary, Lemon, Spearmint, Ravintsara, Clary Sage, Fennel, Eucalyptus globulus, Eucalyptus Radiata, Eucalyptus Citriodora, Hyssop, Thyme, Tarragon, Juniper berry.
Contraindication for Infants: Peppermint essential oils is contraindicated via any route for infants. (Only hydrosol can be used). Avoid application on or near the face with small children due to risk of respiratory spasm (spasms of the tongue) and respiratory arrest.
Contraindications for Oral Route: Peppermint essential oil is contraindicated for individuals with achlorhydria (absence of free hydrochloric acid in gastric juice), obstruction of bile ducts, gallbladder inflammation, or severe liver damage.
Avoid undiluted application to open wounds and sensitive skin. Caution when using internally for individuals who have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Maximum recommended adult daily oral dose: 6-12 drops a day divided into 2-3 doses throughout day.